Monday, January 19, 2009

Never Ending Brilliance

"Never ending brilliance". Wouldn't that be a great thing to call your own? I love that Tiffany ads have always been page 3 upper right in the New York Times. Open the paper, there it is. My heart doesn't always go pitter pat over the jewels, but a lot of times I do admit, I sigh. But there is comfort ( no pun intended- Louis Comfort Tiffany) in consistently finding them pictured there, a little gorgeousness amid all the rest.

Consistently. I think there is a little brilliance to be said for that. Like every Monday lining up the week. Organizing it. Applying a routine. Doing the next important things: Like addressing a competition envelope while the painting is still in progress. Making a gravatar for your signature, or updating a resume to highlight your own facets. Consistently moving it forward. Toward a bracelet of dreams.

Could that get us the jewels we're after? Could "consistently" be our own little bit of brilliance?

So back to the pinks and the studio for me. How about you? Got yourself all polished and ready to go for the week?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're right. Consistency does go a long way. It builds a subtle feeling of trust that grows with time. You get the feeling you can count on Tiffany's.

Applied to any business, slow and steady seems to win the race. :)

Janice C. Cartier said...

I think so. I read about the Power of Gradual over on Zen habits yesterday and was thinking about that.

I like what you said about trust.

I know that if you get out your camera and go looking each week, it adds up to an array of images, a bank account of beauty for us to choose from. ;-) Over time, we trust your eye and all the heart that goes with it.

Anonymous said...

Janice,

I'm with you here. Consistency rocks. In my life, it opens me up for other adventures, knowing that the basics are automatic.

For Tiffany's admirers, knowing they'll consistently be in the same place opens you up to noticing the details, the changes.

Both types of consistency are anything but boring. They just take you right away to the next level.

Regards,

Kelly

Janice C. Cartier said...

"knowing they'll consistently be in the same place opens you up to noticing the details, the changes."

Oh I love that... a lot.

I would be lost without routines and consistent efforts.
It frees me up in the studio, where I want to be a little more experimental, as you say, adventurous.

ArtistUnplugged said...

I don't think I am as organized as you are but I do like consistency in my life.

Janice C. Cartier said...

"I do like consistency in my life."

Yes. Me too. Not everything, but some of the important things.

Anonymous said...

Consistency for me means sticking to my blog-three-times-a-week-schedule, which means working on my blog continually.

Janice C. Cartier said...

Ulla,
And we are so glad you do.. your photos are beautiful. A nice window to your world.

Parisbreakfasts said...

"Never ending brilliance".
May that aptly fit our new president.
You're so good with words, Janice.

A Brush with Color said...

Never ending brilliance and a new President on this historic day. It's an auspicious occasion all around. Beautiful sentiment...and we have 4 inches of snow--not a normal day in NC!

Janice C. Cartier said...

Thank you so much.

PB- Our consistently peaceful transfer of power...truly a memorable moment in time and so exciting. Did you see Itzak and Yo Yo and Aretha? And the painting by Hill that was chosen to go behind the luncheon table?

Beautiful lovely country of ours.

A Brush- BRRRRR.. stay warm...I am having hot chocolate as I watch the festivities. That is a lot of snow you have. Exciting times...auspicious, yes. I love DC. You can feel the hum of that city even in the air before you land. It is one big party tonight.

Anonymous said...

I thrive on consistency. In work, in my personal life, in everything.

But I could probably thrive on lots of diamonds, too ...

(is that a ninja?! love him!)

Janice C. Cartier said...

It's my white ninja I keep at eye level above my desk.

I think a few gems could be good for the soul. LOL