Monday, October 6, 2008

Short Order Art

Paris Breakfasts requested this photo of my next actions, I said it looks like a short order window. So here it is. It's great to be organized and have long range plans. Lay out goals, or use a template. But none of it means anything, if you don't follow through. Using time and location prompts is a good thing to do. These notes are right at eye level right above my Command Central. There's even a little Ninja ( in white ) to urge me on. They are pulled from my notebooks's next actions. Do this now kind of things.

No thinking involved, just grab the first note and go with it. That's a Dave Allen trick, do what is right in front of you, then the next , then the next. The priorities have been set already so I know that no matter which note I grab, I'm good. It's a variety of areas to work, some studio, some marketing, some research, some archiving and narration, and more, but each one is essential to get to the next step, to get me closer to my goal.

Since I have to really step it up in the studio now, move things out of development into execution, it is easy to let the other areas slide. But they have equal importance in the distribution of my work. Art is a business. Artists wear a lot of hats. So consider this another one of my "analog" assistants. I do all the upfront planning and strategies, establish the steps, then execute. So the prompts keep me on track. This is only a partial view. They're fun though...I kind of like pulling them off when completed, I have to admit.

So yes, this is Organizing Monday and welcome to one of my little tools. As you can see I have some color tests to do so I won't linger here. My 3 most important tasks this week? Phew. To work steadily through these little goodies, to treat myself well as I am working in this challenging week, and to have fun with puddles I am going to make.

Do you use any time and location prompts yourself?

6 comments:

Parisbreakfasts said...

YAY!
YOU ROCK Janice!
Love it! ! !
Hmmm...now where are my thumb tacks?
Pushpins?

Janice C. Cartier said...

Scotch tape for me....:-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Janice,

My monitor looks like an orange sunflower with all the Post-It Notes I have. (And yes, there is one with your name on it -- I'll be in touch soon!)

~Graham

Janice C. Cartier said...

I like that sunflower image. ;-) No worries.

A Brush with Color said...

Oh, by all means have fun with the puddles! Love your little ninja guy. Looks very organized! Touche!

Janice C. Cartier said...

ABWC- Well, it does keep me on track. Ninja touchstone good. ;-) To the puddles...