Thursday, October 2, 2008

That Striped List Has Company



“If we keep doing what we're doing, we'll keep getting what we got”
~ David Thornburg


Setting goals is important. Following through on goals is even more important. That striped list in the photo has lots of company, ongoing things to do. And those chocolates are tempting. Here paint me. Paint me. Then the wetlands work...more paint here too.

This week I put all the next actions at eye level on the shelf above my desk so I could move forward on them. And you know what? It's working. My shelf looks like a short order window with food tickets clipped to it in a row. But those tickets are getting done. And the paint feels good.

Why is this important? It's always a balance, studio time and the business of art. Which is kind of a Catch 22. The business depends on the art which depends on the business which depends on the art which depends on the business. Phew, dizzy yet? I am. But I can feel steady progress on all fronts. And I like that. So it's a balance. Lists, truffles, and wetlands. An odd blend. But hey, I just work here, that list and the muses are in charge.

Come on Brush let's get to work. What? No, you don't have to say do you want fries with that. Just grab the ticket and see what's on it. Sheesh. Everyone's a comedian...I see you giggling Pencil. You too, let's get to work.

It's hard to get decent help these days. Ever wonder what it would be like to have staff? REAL staff? An assistant? Boy I do.

5 comments:

Parisbreakfasts said...

I LOVE that idea!
Short order art!
Way to go! You are so brill
Here's something for a good giggle
and who doesn't need that?
http://scout-holiday.com/blog/?p=486

Parisbreakfasts said...

Oh please do take a shot of your short orders lined up?

Janice C. Cartier said...

Love Valentino's Pugs!!!

Will get that shot. :-)

Parisbreakfasts said...

Do we get to see Truffle ptgs on Naughty Friday?

Janice C. Cartier said...

I think they will be sprinkled in here and there through the holidays.