Friday, September 26, 2008

Even Before Coffee

Luscious ultramarine violet.

First strokes.

A fresh new painting.

First washes.

First strokes always feel the best. In the start of a brand new painting they can set the tone. This one is a watercolor. That striped list of mine has 2 on it for this week. Here we are beginning the first. I was supposed to get to them Wednesday. But Wednesday felt like collage. I cut and snipped on Wednesday. So here I am early on a Naughty Friday even before coffee, dipping sable into paint. The light is low, the house is quiet. The water clean and fresh. I look for a point, a light one, that will anchor all the rest.

Ahh, there it is. That flag. That flag of grass has caught my attention. It's pink. No gold..hm , a blend of both. It's at the center of all the action in this piece. There that's where I will start. It doesn't look like much in that second photo. I know. But trust me, everything else will swirl around it.

This piece will try my patience. It has lots of little bits. And it is an image that I walked in, those crabs were in all the water edge grasses. Each step I took caused a different pattern to form among the colonies of crabs. Yes, in the middle of nowhere , in shark infested waters ( I later found out) I am there watching how dainty and fierce these little guys were. Looking for the color. Watching how they move. Thinking already in line and form and color. There are clouds reflected in the ripples of the water. And there was a breeze upon my face.

Yes, even before coffee I was playing in the puddles. Don't forget, later on...get some Naughty going on. And have a great weekend. Hey Brush, ready to jump back in? You bet.

How was your early morning?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janice,

Exhausted, and exhausting. Four hours of sleep, and feet right back in the fire this a.m. Two weeks, maybe, until I really relax again. (?)

It's a good thing. There's nothing like knowing your direction and just plowing through it, is there?

When I want a little "ahh," I just wander over here. I can see my watercolor box from where I sit right now (the kid's been making use of it, why not?), and oh, I wish I could just stop the circus for a minute (or a day... or two) and paint.

*sigh* Not quite yet. You keep being brilliant, I'll keep coming by to say ahh.

Regards,

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hehehe. I just read what I wrote a bit more closely.

I should have put a "Downer Comment" disclaimer on that one. I'm not down, I just sound like it!

Until later,

Kelly

Janice C. Cartier said...

Not a downer at all... just some life swirling around you... I'll paint a puddle just for you to swim around in for awhile....

A Brush with Color said...

Early morning was great--got a good rest and it's sunny out after a long rain. And of course then I saw your lovely image here--so how could it be bad? I'd love to see the final product!

Janice C. Cartier said...

ABWC- I love that after a rain time. Very nice. Thank you. We'll follow this piece as it goes along and you will see it.

Anonymous said...

Sigh...your photos are so beautiful, capturing the essence of your painting!

Janice C. Cartier said...

Evelyn-I like to get up close on the paints. I am glad you like them. :-)

Jamie Simmerman said...

How beautiful! Before the kids came along, I used to paint with oils. I loved the way the colors would mix together to make something even more intense or glowing than what I had on the brush.

Thanks for invoking the memories. ;)

Janice C. Cartier said...

Thanks Jamie for stopping by. And you are welcome. Glad those are good memories. Maybe you could haul out the paints in some quiet moments.