Friday, November 14, 2008

Rhythms, Paint and Words


NaNoWriMO is an unlikely name for an artist's muse, but permission by any name is not to be underrated. I am at almost 11,000 words in the novel. The goal is 50,000 for the month of November. And the quality of the words is insignificant. That you get them down IS. What began as tentative, a trickle, a scene here and there, is becoming intuitive, flowing. Suspension of judgement is key. Notes to self are allowed, you can come back to those later, say after 30,000 words or more. Hm.

Naughty little thing, weaknesses. Even perceived weaknesses. Writing professionally about my work has always been one of mine ( Kelly is going to smile at that again. ) Writing has not. I have journals, notes, and heaven forbid I run out of ink. I have sketches and maps, clipped photos, source materials out the ying yang. I have communication skills, ask my friends. ( I see you all smiling there.) What I did not have before was permission. So I gave it to myself.

And you know what? The paint is responding. Yep. How could I have forgotten, that one of the ways I opened up that flow, was through my private writing. I had never done this in *public*. Very private person you know. And announcing to the world that I was going to attempt a novel. Hah. And besides, I know writers, real writers. And they are good. I couldn't do that, could I ? I have seen them struggle, go into their caves. The guys all grimace, grumble, don't shave. I am an artist after all. Give me a brush. Or a pencil, or pen. Or a camera, I am great with a camera.

But I am sitting here in my robe. Not showered, not perfumed, still in my slippers. I wrote over 2,000 words yesterday. Oh no, guys.....is this the cave? RUN! Sheeesh....naughty guys, trying to sucker me in. Brush, is running the shower now. Slathering is called for, and I refuse to discard the perfume. But I think my Novembers are changed forever. NaNoWriMo, who knew? Rhythm, paint, and words...Yeah, Brush... it's kind of nice. We like it.

Given yourself permission to do anything different lately? Did you get a surprise?

4 comments:

A Brush with Color said...

Good for you! I'm psyched that you're doing it! Joe gave me a book for Christmas that's a collection of writers who also took up a brush, a pencil or did sculpting--(The Writer's Brush) It's interesting--and I think it's so true that real artists have a need to create in many ways--it just oozes from them, whether it's through writing, art, cooking, dancing, etc...They just have to do it! Think of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, etc, too--not only did they sing, and write, they painted and doodled, too...It just has to manifest itself somehow...I do believe that....

These peeks at your current works are beautiful!

Janice C. Cartier said...

I think you are right. I am going to look up that book right now.
*Oozes*is a really good way to put it. I just thought a minute, I have been cooking more this week too. Even made gingerbread from scratch and whipped up a spontaneous lemon buerre sauce for the asparagus, some steak and rosemary garlic mushrooms to go over the noodles for dinner last night, in like a half hour. What's up with that? Totally opening the channels. LOL.

Already at another 1,000 words so far this morning.. now time for the paint.. sheesh. What, I say what, a cool thing this is. And I am not even worried about whether it is good enough or anything.. just getting the words down. THAT is the cool part. Just sprinkling those mistakes right on in there with the good stuff.
Now must check out the Writers Brush. Thanks.;-)

A Brush with Color said...

Fascinating! I do think there's something to that. Mmmmm...incidentally, that meal sounds delicious. You're being cruel to someone on the road, you know! LOL.

You're so right to just get those words down--that's the nice thing about writing--you can ALWAYS go back and finesse what's there later. Good luck!!

Janice C. Cartier said...

Two Words:ROOM SERVICE! LOL

I put Writers Brush on my wish list. On Amazon there is an interview with Kurt Vonnegut about his art work. Really a concept worth pursuing, this crossover. Hm..

Now what's for lunch? ;-)