Wednesday, January 28, 2009

That Awkward Teenage Phase

Gangley arms.

Feet too big.

And voices not quite there.

There is a time in paintings that is awkward, the parts are almost there, but not quite yet. The balance is just about to be, but is slightly out of whack. The colors are present, but not totally integrated. Perhaps the cools out number the warms just a bit and need to be reconciled. Maybe the little bits are not yet soothed by some nice medium ones. But the bones are true, and the vision intact and there's still some room for it all.

It's that awkward teenage phase. It's just about done, almost what it is going to be. Almost. The painting has a logic of it's own so the white spaces, the final glazes, the detail here and there, all have a mission to make that logic work. And to capture the story. Make sure the voice is strong and true.

Here, once the marks are down they are down. So at this stage as much painting goes on in my head as on the paper. What I don't paint is as important as what I do paint. But something else can happen here, sometimes we hit upon a surprise. I found one last night.

Today, I think I'll pursue it. ( Hm, butterflies in my tummy when I saw it. That's usually a very good sign.)

But isn't that just like that teenage phase, that willingness to try new things?

7 comments:

ArtistUnplugged said...

See all the instruments there, the symphony will become complete. Beautiful....love that pink!

Janice C. Cartier said...

Ooh , I love the analogy... can hear the warm up now. must get to the paint. ;-)

Parisbreakfasts said...

NON...non
Au postale!
Toute suite...
Vite vite
Ooooo un surprise!
BRAVO!!!

A Brush with Color said...

This gangly teenager is looking like it's growing into its own quite nicely, I think. Beautiful pinks and colors here, Janice.

Anonymous said...

Writing is a lot like painting in that way. My written works often reach a point when they're best served by me stepping away from them.

And I love it when I come up with surprises! Good luck with yours.

Cakespy said...

What a lovely sentiment--and a good look at how we are able to allow ourselves to grow. I'm inspired!

Janice C. Cartier said...

Augghhh, thanks Cakespy, good for you. I love everything you are doing these days.;-)