Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Frasier


Click To Bid

Un Frasier on a rainy Tuesday morning. My lovely sailing partner once told me after I asked him if I could spend the weekend on the Chanticleer sketching by myself, "You are as welcome as rain." He had been raised in Midland, Texas. Rain was indeed not commonplace. This man had grace. Grace is something that I as a southerner love. Indeed I live for it. Chef has grace. I have no doubt that he has the classic temperament of a French pastry chef, but look at what he does with strawberries, almonds and cream. Each time I paint one, I am transported through his magical vision and mine to the south of France, or like today to a meticulously maintained Pearson sailboat that rocks in the rain. Art can do that. The art of a phrase, a pastry, a painting, hold magic. So get a spoon and dip in while the rain falls gently outside my window.

4 comments:

Parisbreakfasts said...

The Beetles would give an arm and a leg to bite into this divine thing and so would I since the Dollar is bottom-fishing...
I see many a Fraisier in Paris, yet none as fine as yours.
Course how they taste is another matter.
And one I can not comment on.
Quelle triste...

Janice C. Cartier said...

@PB-They taste fabulous. But you, you have Paris to devour this week...ahh, that must be sublime.

Merisi said...

Janice, you make me want to go read some Proustian bon-mots (after all, I can't paint my way out). Sometimes I get into a train a thought that can best describes of as being tempting to attempt a year of living dangerously, precariously dependent on one pastry a day. Wonder where that would leave me, beyond the physical gains! :-)

Janice C. Cartier said...

@Merisi-"precariously dependent on one pastry a day"

...will net you too many pounds. I will have to paint salads for the next year to even things out
Do I sense a restlessness? Perhaps some Proust will open that window...but take your camera along. Your photographs are far too lovely. We want more. :) JC