Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Chocolate Rugulach


Two little chocolate rugalach. Cream cheese, chocolate, and flakey pastry. These two are having a chat. This piece spawned several emails back and forth with my friend and world traveler, Noie. It is important to know what makes a good rugulach. Apparently the flakiness of the crust and the richness of the cream cheese are the key. Well these were fabulous. Not too sweet, but deeply rich. More than the other pieces, this one makes me think I channelled a bit of Wayne Thiebaud. I have rarely been able to not look and marvel whenever his work comes up. Form, drawing pleasure, toss in just enough color, and light. It's like a call and response for me. Count me in. I have always loved our basic tools. And he plays with them well. I look at these and that little bit of cobalt violet still makes me smile.My eye searches for the coresponding yellow. I have a game I call how many lines does it take to draw a shrimp? Three. Try it. I know that two little rugulach can also be how many it takes to connect to a friend. Resonance, it often happens with the least little thing.

No comments: