Thursday, August 7, 2008

Beginner's Mind

Collage papers.

Ink.

Textures.

Warm and cool.


"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's mind there are few."~Shunryu Suzuki

Childlike inquiry is a friend. So is random. I never want to be so stuck in a way of doing something that there is no freshness to my work. I have an island to paint. So I ask, "What is it?" I am playing with abstract. Textures, shapes, colors, identity in line and form. Scale, small, medium and large. Warm cool. Impact. Emotion. Memory. I have photographs. I have sketches. I have experience. I have technique. But, of course I want more.

I want to explore as if I had never seen it before. I have fine sketches and journal notes. I will roam and ramble, play with those as well. I have only to close my eyes and I am there again. But this island... what is it? What makes it stay in my heart? Why is it so important? What could it have to do with your life, too?

I am looking for timelessness in little bits of form. Something evocative. These nonsensical collages are in their first layer. There's lots, lots more to do. My childlike brain is loose on them to wander at it's will with scissors, glue, snips of this and that. Some ink, some pen, some pencil even. Newspaper. Things I have on hand.

After a bit. When I have said, "There, that is enough," I'll stop. Take a breath. Put them on the wall. Go away. Do something else. Then I will come back with fresh eyes, turn and take a look.

What do I hope to see?

My island's essence, as I see it, looking back at me. And lots of possibilities.

2 comments:

Parisbreakfasts said...

WHOO HOO !
These are DIVINE
What's not to love here?
Now where can I place an order..?
Shopping cart please!

Janice C. Cartier said...

Thanks.
They are not done yet, but perhaps I'll let a few of these go too. :)