Friday, August 8, 2008

Gentle Ripples in the Sand

Made by a constant breeze. That is the texture of this week for me. No great strides. No huge thrusts of activity. No drama. No brass band. Just gentle ripples in the sand made by a constant breeze. That is the pattern, the mark of my MIT's (Most Important Tasks). Steady, relentless movement toward my goal.

I can almost hear the gentle waves lapping at the shore, steady like a heartbeat. Maybe it is not ALL gone. Maybe it's still there.

I'll take those small ripples. Relish them in fact. Feel that breeze and soak up that gentle joy. Steady as a heartbeat. One step. Then another. Here we are again. Another bit closer and yes, certainly in the right direction to being whole again.

Time alone doesn't do it. It requires much, much more than that. This isn't easy. Don't be fooled. Each step is hard fought. But steps in the right direction. I have to be grateful for that.

I looked at pictures late last night of my island. Recent ones taken by a fisherman flying over it. Our footprints are not only washed away, the very ground is gone. The lighthouse is who knows where. It is gone too. I knew this already, of course, but it had been a while since I had had the courage to look again. And it, well, it was another stab at my heart last night. Not easy. But I also heard that underneath the waves, the sands are shifting and possibly rebuilding bit by bit. Hm. I can relate to that.

So gentle ripples in the sand made by a constant breeze and the currents offer up some hope. I know that's not a plan, but hope can be a friend. For now that has to do. Here we are on Friday. The photo is a soft sunset on an eastern shore. I just wanted to think of waves and gentle breezes on my face while I reflect on how good it feels to pull a pencil across some pristine white, and how wondrous certain shapes can be. That's all. Not very grand. But it's the world to me.

Good job this week, well done to me and to all of you. I'm sure we all can say, I did my best, I gave some more, I walked toward something I desire. Now let's all go be naughty. Come on Brush, you want to play in some ink?

Here this will help. I think she has the right idea.

12 comments:

Melissa Donovan said...

This post really swept me away and now I'm longing to go lounge on a beach somewhere. I feel that way a lot lately (someone needs a vacation).

Melissa Donovan

Janice C. Cartier said...

It's contagious. No doubt. Need some beach time myself. :)

Parisbreakfasts said...

LOVE the video!!!
What great spirit!
Have a great week-end Jan & merci
We all do it for love don't we.

Parisbreakfasts said...

Another way to think about Paris...
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/64ad536a6d

Anonymous said...

You know, if you squint, the photo could be a typical winter scene from up here (Twigs sticking out from between white snow drifts).

- Friar

Janice C. Cartier said...

Frair- Since it has been over the 100 degree mark hee, a snow scene is mighty appealing. :)

PB- I loved that video. For love.

Anonymous said...

100 degrees! Wow! Can WE have some of that?

Saturday morning. August. Hottest time of the year supposedly. It's overcast and 61F.

WHERE is our summer?

- Friar

Janice C. Cartier said...

61? Since I LOVE sweaters I am little bit green with envy... but you probably don't drag those out til it gets cold, like 30 or something. :)

Anonymous said...

Hahah! I'm wearing shorts and CRocs today. No sweater.


The problem is, we get to wear sweaters 9 months of the year.

It would be NICE to be able to go outside without dressing warmly, in the summer! :-)

If there is Global Warming, it sure ain't happening around Ontario this year.

- Friar

Janice C. Cartier said...

LOL...as long as the crocs aren't white. NEVER NEVER GO THERE....and especially do not put them wiht a dasheki ( sp? ) Seriously I saw that. It was not pretty on the guy.

Anonymous said...

Janice, I hear so many comments between the written words, maybe because you spoke them, or maybe because I heard what I needed. Sometimes walking and accepting hopes company is all I have. Recently it has been so. Maybe you too were on the trail and I was so fixated on hope, I didn't see you. Thanks for this lovely post. Sands change and so can I.

Janice C. Cartier said...

Harmony- I was thinking about you earlier today and just the other day too. And now here you are. :)

I am glad you heard what it was that you needed.

( Popping over to see you.)