Saturday, November 3, 2007

Tiramisu


Simple. Clean. A dream to paint. A wonder to eat. Some things should not be messed with. And tiramisu is one of them. Flavor, texture, color. Has it all. Like good design. Form and function married. The best design tickles all five senses and is useful too. Maybe helps us do something we really need to do. Or entertains while teaching. Or nourishes us in a number of ways.Eames did it well.So did Le Corbusier. I have seen a remarkable thing this week. Someone designed it. And someone else (in Dubai don't you love it ?) showed it to me via the internet ( a design in progress). I will give you the link over there on the side ( Go See This Now) A brilliant designer is behind this. It mesmerized my designer brain and tossed out possibilities. The subject is about who has cake and who doesn't, delivered in a fascinating way. And a brilliant chef put it to use to show us something neat. So kick back, stay with it and you'll see. Some things should be messed with. Dry stale charts and graphs are one. Find a chef who knows a little alchemy. And he will bring your world to you in a way that is like eating or painting tiramisu. Form and function happily engaged make us smile and dance. And then perhaps roll our shirt sleeves up and get to work, make choices. To think and then to act. Simple design is powerful when it is put to use. Good chefs employ it. Look at the tiramisu. Chef knew just what to do. Simple rich and flavorful. Cut in a clean smooth shape that echoes the taste my eyes tell me it will bring. Just enough mocha, hear the sound I make? Now, what is it that I can do to see that others get their cake?

2 comments:

Merisi said...

'Right, here I am, drooling. *smile*
Form and function. I am always fascinated by the way my son approaches form and function often so differently from how I would do it. Things I think I have down pat by experience, he sees through hsi eyes and finds a solution and, at the end, his solution is at least as good as mine, if not better.

Janice C. Cartier said...

merisi,
You are so right. Wasn't it Picasso who said that the ability to keep alive that childlike play quality is one of the most important, sometimes the hardest thing, for an artist to do?
I did a series of inquiry based projects with gifted art children and I LEARNED SO MUCH. :)
Your photos and text are a beautiful marriage of form and function by the way.