Sunday, October 7, 2007

Napoleon Deux

Cream and lots of it. A napoleon straight on. A bit of play in the ruffle, but the cream keeps coming through. Cream rises to the top, cream of the crop...a little word association...it all means the same. Something really good. Luscious cream amid some leaves and icing on the top. It doesn't get much better than this, my pastry picker says. She can hardly pass one up, thanks to La Marquise. Exquisite pastries there on Chartres Street. Here, Chef Pierre does these well. He seems to have a knack for putting rich and fresh together in an artful stack. I hope one day to go and watch. It must be like a dance. To watch him gracefully compose. Cream here a puff and now a glaze, et voila un peu du chocolate for the decoration. I marvel still each time I look at what he does to each and every one of these.It makes me glad to have picked this has my concentration. This little experiment. A world of wonder it has come to be, full of rich and fresh. Lovely collectors, friends from afar and old friends stopping by. I am so glad that in the wee hours while we're all asleep, chef is up dancing, making up our treats.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In France we call this a Mille Feuille, " a thousand leaves."